Last week, my sister was visiting for March Break, and we were lucky enough to have temperatures that rivalled the heat of July. It was so hot, we were all wearing shorts and flip flops. Then, I would come home everyday, and my winter wreath would still be hanging on my door. It’s a pretty wreath, don’t get me wrong, but as I said yesterday, snow covered pine cones don’t exactly welcome spring.
Now, we are back to our normal March temperatures, which hover between 0 and 10 degrees (Celsius, that is, for all you Americans) but I am still stuck in a Spring mindset – which is about time. So during naptime today, I was faced with three options – (1) Scrub the floors so the house is spotless when my husband gets home this week and yell at anyone who walks on it between now and then; (2) Finish my Meg Cabot book that I am reading so I can start the Hunger Games trilogy that I bought this weekend; or (3) Make a Spring wreath to replace my Winter one. I went with #3, thankfully, or this would be a boring post for you!
I made a quick trip to the Dollar Store to grab some of these floral spray type thingys and a small next of eggs. I had a grapevine wreath at home, although I thought I had a normal sized one – turns out, it was HUGE! Like 20 inches or so. But it was all I had, so I told myself what Tim Gunn would say, “Make it work!”
I started by pulling all of the “sprays” apart so they were an individual piece. I bought one bunch of each color, pink, yellow, and blue. This was more than enough to do a huge wreath like this, and it would likely be enough to make two smaller wreaths. The birds nest was already white, but I spray painted it heirloom white, because I found the original white too bright.
Once you have your sprays pulled apart, start poking and twisting them into the grapevine wreath. There is honestly no better way to explain it then that – stick, twist, turn, repeat. Many times. Until your wreath looks somewhat like this:
To attach the birds nest, I used some of the floral wire that came out of the spray stems, and poked it through the back of the nest and then tied it onto the wreath.
And that’s all there is to it – it cost me $4.50 for the nest and sprays, and the wreath I already had, and took less than an hour to finish – easily accomplishable during naptime. In fact, I think I still have time to go read scrub the floors!
Sarah Desjardins is a mother of two girls, a wife, an elementary school teacher, and a self proclaimed glitter addict. Becoming Martha is a place for anyone who wants to make their domestic life more beautiful and creative. Sarah started Becoming Martha as a place to find bliss between the diapers and the dishes, and invites you to do the same.