Remember a few months ago when I gave that basic bamboo tray a makeover, and turned it into a geometric Backgammon game tray? It was so much fun that I couldn’t wait to accept the next challenge: DIY these basic canisters to make them more than just basic kitchen storage. My #DIYmyWay? These canister centerpieces that come together in under 10 minutes – and I’ll also share some more great ideas for Christmas vase fillers that work great during the holiday season.
I started with this 4 piece canister set from Wayfair Basics. I also used:
- glittered styrofoam balls (from Michaels)
- Star shaped ornaments (from the dollar store)
- A white ceramic owl (a Christmas ornament from last year!)
- battery operated tealights and LED string lights
- styrofoam block
- fake snow flakes and (optional) mini white pom poms
Fill the first jar (I used the second smallest) with the glittery styrofoam balls. Place a Battery operated tealight on top.
Next, fill the small jar with the string lights and the stars. Use a hot glue gun to stick the battery pack onto the lid of the canister. (Make sure you don’t glue down the side that holds the on/off switch!)
The last jar I used was the second largest. For this one, I placed a small styrofoam block in the middle of the jar to support the owl ornament from sinking into the fake snow. (If your ornament has trouble staying on the styrofoam block, try gluing a piece of a skewer to the bottom and sticking it in the sytrofoam.) Pour the fake snow and/or mini white pom poms in until it reaches the bottom of the ornament.
I stacked the three canisters on a cake stand and it was ready to go – a festive centerpiece in no time at all!
And if you’re looking for other items to fill your vases, canisters, or other vessels this holiday season…
Christmas Vase Fillers
- small bulb ornaments
- pom poms
- string lights
- stand out ornaments
- colored bells
- fake gems
- shredded paper (the kind used in gift baskets
- candles (battery operated of course!)
- twigs and berries
- hang ornaments (glue fishing line to lid and tie ornaments to the so they “float”)
- gift bows
- candy canes
- wine corks (paint or glitter them for an added pop of color)
- peppermint candy
- old fashioned light bulbs
There you have it – a quick and easy solution to (almost) all of your holiday decorating woes.
What combo would you use to create a fun and easy centerpiece idea?
*This post was sponsored by Wayfair. All opinions and ideas are my own.*